Tagging as learning – activity descriptionJanuary 29, 2007
For the purpose of web 2.0 learning patterns i have asked my collegue Martin Sillaots to give a short description how he uses tags in education.
Martin’s blog can be found from:
Here is a short overview of Tagging for learning patterns for my pattern-search purposes
Activity: Tagging as learning
Tools: del.icio.us, tagclouds, docs.google.com, webpages with content, C-map tool, LeMill environment
The activity aims the students to plan and execute in teams small project by using social bookmarking and concept-mapping tools besides other social software. They must learn how to navigate in tagcloud, how to create bookmark, tags and notes in del.icio.us, creation of network (network of teachers and students) in del.icio.us.
1. Teacher creates del.icio.us page with bookmarks.
Teacher should provide as less as possible tags for bookmark. If teacher will provide too many tags to describe the content of material, students do not have anything to do (they don’t even have to think, only copy).
On the top of teachers del.icio.us page there can be a short lesson plan. It may be created in Google docs. It’s not good idea to create lesson plans as simple HTML document and to publish them in teacher homepage. The key term of all process and system is openness. So each teacher can use same tools and try them by themselves.
2. Students create del.icio.us user accounts.
Very difficult is to find connections between del.icio.us usernames and students real names. From other side, it’s flexible and good tool. In the schools there may be some restrictions to make del.icio.us accounts.
3. Creation of network (network of teachers and students) in del.icio.us. Teacher presents his username to students and they add teacher to there personal network. Teacher sees them as fans and can add them to his network.
Students join with teachers network and barrow his bookmarks.
4. Students must read through the content of material and define meaningful tags.
Problem: Students try to copy the content of learning object to notes area. They shoud input all notes and tags by typing or clicking in existing tags.
5. Students must create project plan document, publish this in some open space (e.g. Google docs) and bookmark this in there del.icio.us page.
The notes area in de.icio.us is to narrow. Long answers do not fit to it.
6. To get overview of who tagged what the teacher clicked on link (next to bookmark) this link is tagged by X users. Then the tagcloud of that resource could be seen, list of students who tagged it, their tags and comments. This had to be done separately with every bookmark.
7. The meaningfulness of tags created by students will be measured on final examination. This examination will be like interview. Students will present there personal tagcloud and they must explain what is the meaning of that. Teacher will ask additional questions to guide them and to collect additional information.
8. The concept mapping method will be used when there is already sufficient amount of tags. Then based on tagcloud information the concept map of project management will be designed.
The experiment with this learning pattern is still going on, so i try to update this pattern entry and later to create the real description of it using the pattern elements.